My Health & Fitness Routine

Hey folks!

How are we all on this lovely Bank Holiday?

Today's blog post is going to be all about my own personal fitness routine, and how I keep as fit as I can. I am not an expert, not even close, this is just the way I like to look after myself.

I will start by saying that I am not a fan of exercise, and I don't buy into the whole muscle image. All I want is to be healthy and enjoy some level of fitness.

So, what do I do to keep healthy & fit?

Firstly, lets start with fitness!

I don't know if I exercise enough, but its enough for me (considering I bloody dislike it) and I agree with the train of thought that some is better than none.



Skipping
Every day (mostly) when I come home from work I skip using a jump rope in the garden, I usually do between 50-100 jumps using the forward motion and then 50-100 using the backwards motion. I love skipping, it is so easy to do, cheap (all you need to do is pay out for the cost of the rope) and is an absolutely brilliant all over work out, sculpting your arms, legs, shoulders and chest, as well as being a great cardiovascular exercise, therefore helping you keep your heart healthy. Its a workout that is so easy, and the fitter you get the more you can increase your routine. I usually do mine as soon as I get home from work and do my jumps before dinner, and you certainly feel like you've had a workout once you have finished this one!



Cycling
I will be the first to admit that this is my spring - autumn activity, I do not cycle in Winter. I finish work at 6pm and its too dark throughout Winter to come home and cycle. I love to cycle along the river and its not really a place I fancy cycling in the darkness of Winter. Also, its too bloomin' cold out on the bike in Winter ;) Cycling is great for people who can't take part in high impact work outs, is great for lower body fitness and great to help keep your heart healthy. Also, if weight loss is what you are after it is a great way to burn those calories.



Walking
I think a lot of people underestimate the power of walking. Its free, its easy, and a brilliant way to keep fit. I walk all year round, and will often opt to walk (if time permits) rather than using the car. I also love to walk down along the river where I live, and walk a few towns along and then back again. This is brilliant all year round and is a brilliant. Although it might feel like you're not overly exerting yourself, walking is great for your cardiovascular fitness, therefore helping your heart stay healthy.



Wii Fit
Not really a normal form of exercise but I do around 1-2 hours a week on the Wii Fit. Me and mum do it together and its a great way to get a bit of exercise and also have a bit of fun at the same time. I try and mix up the routine a bit, we do the long running, all the aerobic exercises, the push ups & side stands, rowing squats and many of the yoga exercises.



Ballet
I am a long time Ballerina, I started when I was 18 months old and have pretty much danced my entire life, although I officially left my dance school in my teens, I went back again at 19 and danced into my 20s. I don't go to classes now, but thats only because after so many years of Ballet I find the classes are all aimed at beginners and as enjoyable as it is, there is no progression there. So I do what I can from home. I have the New York Ballet School exercise DVDs which are wonderful no matter what level you are. I also have enough experience to do Ballet exercises by myself at home. I am lucky, that I started so young and danced doing Ballet, Jazz, Tap and Modern well into my teens, so I developed that body shape easily from a young age, and because of that I carry myself like a dancer would. Its more difficult the older you start, not to mention the dances and exercises are difficult, and going en pointe is very difficult for a ballerina starting even as late as there teens. But it can be done.

I love Ballet, and I only gave it up because I went to a very good dance school and the choice became be a dancer or focus on your education (not that they said that but classes became too much), and I decided to focus on my education.


Secondly, lets move onto eating healthy!

Eating healthy is one of the things I try and do. I love food, I love cooking and I love making things. That being said, just because you love food doesn't mean you can't be healthy with it.

First off, I am Lactose intolerant so I cannot tolerate cows milk at all, however I am getting better at working out my diet and what I can and can't tolerate - up until now I had cut out cows milk completely but now I am seeing what I can and can't eat by reintroducing into my diet. I have no problem with

(FYI: an intolerance is different to an allergy. An intolerance is something that can over time go away or be managed - so for me I can tolerate some lactose in my diet, but not as much as you get from Cows Milk or Cheese. However an allergy is something that is a lot more serious.)




Getting my 5-a-day

One of the most important parts of my day is trying to get my five a day. Its not always easy to get in your five a day, especially if you aren't really a huge fruit and vegetable fan. I generally sit on the fence when its to do with fruit & veg, I don't dislike it, however I can always find something more exciting to eat, therefore I have to make a conscious effort to make sure I get my 5 a day, or more if possible.

I usually have one portion by having a big glass of orange juice in the morning, or if not, sometime throughout the day.

Sometimes I pick up another 2-3 portions from having a smoothie, but that isn't something I do every day.

I also have around 2 portions a day in in vegetables.

In the afternoon at work I always snack on a banana and either a plum or nectarine.

In the evening I usually snack on 1-2 Medjool Dates - and the wonderful benefits of dates cannot be argued. If you're interested, take a look at this article: Why dates are good for you!

As you can see, depending on the day I usually vary between 5-8 portions of fruit & veg per day.






Saturated fat - Keeping it low

I am a complete sucker for checking what is in my food, and wanting to know just what level of saturated fat is in something. I went on a course learning about blood not too long ago (for work), and that coupled with wanting to learn more about my diet, has made me really look into what I am eating. I try and keep the levels of saturated fat in my food down as low as possible, but as with everything, you do need some fat in your diet.




No takeaways - not a fan anyway

This one isn't too difficult for me, as I am not a takeaway kind of person. I can't have pizza because of the cheese, I only used to like the cream based curry's from the Indian so they are now out due to my lactose intolerance. I don't like Chinese, Mcdonalds, KFC or any of those other dreadful fast food chains, so that keeps me on the straight and narrow.





Sugary foods

I don't really consider sugary foods to be a big deal for me, I don't really have a sweet tooth, and although its sometimes difficult to stop snacking on sugary treats at work (so I've replaced that with fruit now - so its a little healthier for me), I don't really ever have sweet stuff.





Everything in moderation & a varied diet

At the end of the day, for me, what it comes down to is eating in moderation and making sure I have a healthy and varied diet. I don't avoid any particular food group. I am not trying to loose weight, I just want to be healthier. So I make sure my meals contain everything I need to keep myself healthy.

And last but not least - A Healthy Mind!






Fun

Make sure you have fun. Take some time out, listen to your favourite music, play your favourite game, laugh with your friends/family/spouse. 



Meditation & Exercise

A form of meditation and/or exercise helps pave a way to a healthy mind. Pilates and Yoga are brilliant forms of exercise which is great for both mind and body.



Social

Taking some time with your friends/family/spouse can really help you stay social and keep a healthy mind.


I hope you enjoyed this blog post. I am not a professional and everything written in this post is just my routine, nothing more.






0 comments: