How to: Become a Blogger


Over the years I have often had many questions about becoming a blogger. The internet makes it so easy for you to have your say, document something and share your world with others.

As humans we're naturally interested in what other people are doing and the blogosphere is a great way to read about new topics, share others lives and get ideas to implement into your own life, whether it be a thought, a quote, a recipe or a DIY project.

I've put together a list of questions people have asked me over my years of being a blogger (and in the periods where I have taken time off) and I hope they will help someone, and inspire you to sit at your computer and start your own blog.

1. Why did you decide to become a blogger?
This is the most asked question, from people online and offline. I decided to become a blogger way back in 2006, it was the next logical step for me having spent a few years running and co-running forums, and meeting some wonderful friends, and getting engaged in good discussions. 

I had been online, reading blogs, viewing videos on youtube and decided that I wanted to start my very own beauty blog. It was slow going at first, social media wasn't what it is now, and soon enough my first blog "Beauty & the Make up Bag" was born. Soon enough I started getting regular views and comments, and the buzz kept me pushing for more. 

2. What was it like running a beauty blog?
My blog, Beauty Chic, was one of the hardest yet exciting times in blogging. After serveral years of running Beauty & the Make up bag I was finding it a challenge to blog, work full time and run a home, so I joined forces with my wonderful friend Ellie (from Ellie Squared) and Beauty Chic was born. It was easier with us both posting, 2 brains are always better than one.

3. How did you make a blog a success?
Now that is the million pound question. I firmly believe a good blog is friendly and approachable, makes you feel welcome, intrigued and desperate for more. But also, it doesn't have to be something you visit every day, every week or even every month. Its something thats there, and you can pop in and out when you are free.

I was lucky with Beauty Chic, we had an amazing run with an incredible amount of support; 2.4 Million hits, 56,000 unique views and over 15,000 subscribers. The support for Beauty Chic and the interact was amazing. It was a brilliant time of my life, but as all good things it had to come to an end.

4. Why did you stop blogging about Beauty?
The honest answer? I had nothing left to say. Don't get me wrong, I love beauty products and fashion and everything inbetween, but I started finding it hard to blog about it all the time. I wanted more variety and I wanted to be able to write about things I wanted to write about outside the niche, I wanted to write about things I was passionate about.

I also wanted a break, I had been blogging since 2006 (Its was 2012 by this point) and I needed some time off to relax and recuperate. We both needed time off, had our offline lives to focus on and things to be getting on with.

As you can see, Beauty Chic was incredibly successful, but for us, it was time to let it go.

5. How can I make my blog a success?
The honest answer is really hard work. You start from nowhere and you have to just keep going, even when it feels like you're just writing to yourself, keep going. Its not easy and you'll feel like giving up. Don't! If you work hard, persevere and keep producing top notch content it will all come good.

If you have a blog and are looking for exposure, why don't you join the Love, Amybecca Bloghop, you might even find some great new blogs to follow too.

6. What was it like starting over?
Starting over was exciting. I had nothing, no readership, no followers, nothing, but I was still excited to be back blogging and writing about what I wanted. It wasn't something I was used to having built up beauty chic into a successful blog with a strong readership. 

This blog is my baby, I love the freedom I have to blog about whatever I want, from crafts to food recipes, controversial topics to lipsticks. If I want to blog about it, I can.

Starting from the bottom isn't easy, and all the hard work from Beauty Chic is flooding back. But I love it, if you ever see me out and about, the minute I sit down I will either be writing blog posts in my notebook or tweeting my latest article.

I have never felt more alive with my blogging and never so excited about the future.

7. How has your blogging changed over the years?
I think its been a natural progression as I have grown up. I started blogging fresh out of University, a young women with no idea about the world. Now I like to think in 7 years I am slightly older and a bit more wise, and I think that is reflected in my writing.

My life is also a lot different than it was, I am getting older and my own perceptions of my own life have changed. Things that were important to me when I was 21 no longer are, and in their place others have grown. Its exciting, as I feel like I am right at the very beginning of a new chapter.


8. Is it hard work?
Yes, incredibly hard work in the sense that if you're anything like me 99.9% of your time your mind is on your blog. Its frustrating being at work and having great ideas and not being able to get them down. Like I said earlier, blogging is hard work but equally its rewarding. And its so rewarding you don't even realise you're working hard because you love it so much.

9. What would you say is the hardest part about blogging?
Writers Block. No joke, or maybe we should call it Bloggers block. If you're a blogger you have been there, you're sitting infront of your computer, new post page layed out before you..but its blank. You sort of have a title and you vaguely know where you want the post to go, but nothing comes out. Also, I work my day job, co-run a craft business & blog (so yes, even more blogging!) so sometimes getting the time is tough.

10. Where do you see your blog in the future?
I just want to keep doing what I am doing, build up the blog, network, meet new people and if I can be even half as successful as Beauty Chic was, then I will be a very happy woman.


Thanks for taking the time to read this blog post. If you have any questions, tweet me @LoveAmybecca or leave me a comment and maybe your question will be featured next time :)




2 comments:

  1. Wow Amy! That took guts to walk away from such a successful blog, but you followed your heart which is all we really can do in the end, isn't it?

    I do hear quite often how when you start a blog you need to pick a niche, but I find that incredibly limiting. I think many others do as well, hence the fairly recent popularity of the 'lifestyle' blogger. I suppose when you have a specifics niche it makes those that follow you a bit more loyal, but if one's goal is to write about one's interests rather than have impressive stats, I suppose that is the way to approach blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely, the beauty blog was an amazing time, but my heart wasn't in it anymore and I wanted to be true to myself.

    I think picking a niche is so limiting as well, I love having the freedom to write whatever I wish, that can span across everything I am interested in. I feel a lot happier now knowing that I can write about anything I want, lifestyle blogger for me is definitely the way forward :)

    ReplyDelete